Humans seem to pollute the genepools of many species, and woodsprites are no exception. In time, a woodsprite and a human may become friends, and after even more time may become more than friends. The result of these unions are half-sprites.
Half-sprites temper the classic woodsprite jumpiness with the natural curiosity of their human parents. More than any race, they tend to be wanderers and thrill seekers.
When fully grown, half-sprites resemble somewhat short human adolescents with pointed ears. Their skin tends to favor the human parent, but their hair tends to be a wild, jumbled mix of both parents'. They lack the wings of a woodsprite, except for a few rare individuals who possess shriveled, useless specimins. Their bones tend to be solid rather than hollow. Both sexes usually have sparse body hair, but those with an exceptionally hirsute human father may display as much hair as their parent.
Woodsprites and humans get along with half-sprites fairly well. Being less uptight than woodsprites, they can get along famously with gnomes and halflings. Half-Orcs are viewed with suspicion, but they work okay with dwarves, elves, half-elves and the odd darkaralome they may meet.
Half-sprites raised among woodsprites tend towards a chaotic alignment. Their natural curiosity runs up against the lawful tendencies of the other woodsprites, heightening their disdain for it. Half-sprites may be of any alignment, however.
Half-sprites have no lands of their own, being a hybrid race. They can be found in human settlements near woodsprites and woodsprite settlements near humans.
The religion of a half-sprite is usually determined by whether they are raised by humans or woodsprites. In the latter case, they almost always revere Ailalea.
Half-sprites have no language of their own.
- Automatic languages: Common and Woodspritish.
- Bonus languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
Half-sprites use either human or woodsprite naming conventions. A half-sprite raised among humans is often given a woodsprite name, while a half-sprite raised in a woodsprite community is usually named like a human.
It's rare to find a half-sprite in pursuit of a time-consuming class such as a wizard or a monk, though they are not unheard of. Sorcerers, rogues, and barbarians are the best-represented classes.
- Humanoid: Despite their name, half-sprite physiology differs enough that they are not considered sprite, nor even fey.
- Half-spritish base speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Half-sprites can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- +1 racial bonus to Reflex saves.
- +2 racial bonus to Initiative.
- +1 racial bonus to Climb, Jump and Balance checks.
- Woodspritish Blood: Effects that affect only woodsprites affect half-sprites normally.
- Favored class: Sorcerer, Barbarian or Rogue.
Half-sprite Vital Statistics:
Table: Half-Sprite Random Starting Ages AdultHalf Simple Moderate Complex 18 years +1d4 +1d8 +2d8
Table: Half-Sprite Aging Effects Middle Age1 Old2 Venerable3 Maximum Age 50 years 75 years 100 years +3d10 years 1. At middle age, −1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
2. At old age, −2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
3. At venerable age, −3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
Table: Half-Sprite Random Height and Weight Gender Base Height Height Modifier Base Weight Weight Modifier Male 4' 5" +2d8 in. 100 lb. × (1d8) lb. Female 4' 0" +2d8 in. 75 lb. × (1d8) lb.
The material above is Open Game Content.
Read more open game content.